- Dean List - Spring 17, Fall 17, Spring 18.
- Graduate Assistanship.
- Concentration: Machine Learning - Networking and Infrastructure
- Relevent Classes:
- Machine Learning and Data Mining for IT.
- Human-Computer Interaction and Usability.
- Advanced Game Development.
- Advanced System Adminstration.
- Advanced Storage Technologies.
- IT Infrastructure Sustainability.
- Dean List - Spring 16, Fall 16, Spring 17, Fall 17, Spring 18.
- Awarded the UC Global Scholarship.
- Concentration: Software Application Development
- Relevent Classes:
- Database Management I and Database Management II.
- System Analysis and Design.
- Contemprory Programming.
- Mobile Device Programming.
- Client-Side Web Programming.
- Manage different IT services offered by the center to various clients.
- Ensure efficient and successful operation.
- Supervise ITSC staff and students.
- Awarded the School of Information Technology's 2021 "Outstanding Service" Award.
- Responsible for all phases of the software development life cycle including inception, elaboration, construction, and transition/deployment.
- Responsible for all activities in the iterative development process including requirements gathering, design, development, testing, and deployment.
- Responsible for establishing and performing an Agile software development processes with Scrum including sprint planning, sprint retrospectives and daily standups.
- Responsible for the standardization and documentation of the technical operations and processes to boost productivity and allow for the ITSC expansion and growth.
- Responsible for the solutions and systems' design and architecture.
- Responsible for the establishment of the Development-and-Operation (DevOps) as practice in ITSC improving the quality of the produced work through automation, streamlining the continuous deployment of the various systems, and achieving better observability of the system and application logs, metrics, and key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Responsible for business-to-business (B2B) system integration for two major software eco systems developed at the ITSC.
- Responsible for addressing client’s evolving software needs including enhancements, additional features, and bug fixes.
- Responsible for staying up to date with emerging technology trends and industry standards, planning for updating and modernizing current and legacy systems.
- Mentored student workers thorough the process of building a C++ and C# script for Autodesk’s Forge Design Automation API. The script receives area allocation markups created through the Square Footage Collection application1 , overlays them on an AutoCAD floor plan and exports a vectorized version of the annotated floor plan.
- Mentored a student intern through the research and implementation of building machine learning statistical models to evaluate the effectiveness of correctional programs in the state of Ohio using Python and Scikit-Learn library.
- Architected a midsized software ecosystem for a staffing company. The solution is built in a multi-layered client-server architecture and consists of a Gateway server API as a backend service, a web application built with Angular and a cross-platform mobile application built with Ionic.
- Re-architected and developed a software ecosystem built in a microservice architecture for a fortune 200 public retailing company.
- Re-designed and developed a large-scale
- Researched and evaluated different cross-platform mobile development frameworks and tools such as Xamarin, Ionic, and React Native for 3 mobile application development projects: Mobile Offender Risk Assessment, a floorplan navigator application for a public retail, and a professional development application for an IT staffing company.
- Lead and mentor undergraduate and graduate students at different software development, system administration, QA, DevOps, and support roles.
- Advise leadership on technical requirements and project resource needs.
- Conduct Interviews for undergraduate and graduate students of technical and non-technical majors to join the solutions center.
- Responsible for maintenance of all software application in production including usage monitoring, security patching, and scalability.
- Responsible for maintenance and administration of over 80 servers used for housing development, and production applications.
- Advise infrastructure operation team on application needs and updates.
- Advise the School of Information Technology on opportunities for software development and expansion of the solutions center.
- Member of the staff team for the School of Information Technology.
- Research topics related to DevOps, architecture, and software development.
- Present to peers on topics related to state-of-the-art IT solutions’ development and maintenance.
- Publish academic papers to local and regional IT related conferences and symposiums.
- Developed and Designed user training workshops, and material on the Offender Risk Assessment and Grant Tracking System developed at ITSC.
- Implemented Online Offender Risk Assessment and Case Planning System for:
- the State of Missouri’s Department of Corrections.
- the State of Illinois’s Administrative offices of the Illinois Courts.
- the State of Nebraska Board of Parole.
- the State of Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.
- Kansas City Municipal Division.
- the State of California's Contra Costa County Probation
- the State of New Jersey's Administrative offices of the Courts.
- Developed and Designed developer training sessions, workshops, and material on the business-to-business integration with the Offender Risk Assessment system.
- Delivered 10 in-person training workshops on the usage of the Offender Risk Assessment and Grant Tracking system to representatives of 81 counties from the state of Ohio.
- Delivered 4 web-based seminars (webinars) on the business-to-business integration with the Offender Risk Assessments System to representatives of:
- The State of Nebraska Office of the Chief Information Officer and the Board of Parole.
- The State of Illinois and its counties contracted software vendors.
- The State of Missouri Department of Corrections.
- Awarded the college’s 2019 “Above and Beyond Professionalism” Award.
- Awarded the School of Information Technology’s 2019 “Distinguished Young Alumni” Award.
- Teach the following courses for the ABET accredited Bachelor of Science program in Information Technology.
- IT 2045C -Computer Programming II. (web-based)
- IT 3049C -Web Game Development. (in-person and web-based)
- IT 5032 -Senior Design Technical Practicum for Networking/Systems Track
- IT 5042 -Senior Design Technical Practicum for Software Application Development Track
- IT 5072 -Senior Design Technical Practicum for Cybersecurity Track
- Develop course material for IT2045C Computer programming II including video lectures, slides, course notes, and assignments.
- Develop course material for IT3049C Web Game Development including video lectures, slides, course notes, and assignments.
- Migrate IT2045C to an online delivery format. Videos can be accessed at https://bit.ly/YG-IT2045-CP2
- Migrate IT3049C to an online delivery format.
- Held office hours for students to provide personalized assistance.
- Grade assignments and provide feedback to students on a weekly basis.
- Collaborate with full time faculty on the course strategy and direction.
- Automated part of the grading process allowing the course to scale and to provide more personalized feedback on the submission.
- Delivered an in-person training to the School of Information Technology Faculty on Staff on the use of GitHub Classroom to bootstrap assignments and automate the grading.
- Lead the development teams for over seven large-scale projects at the ITSC.
- Lead the development team for a software eco system built for a manufacturing operations consultancy. The eco system consisted of a mobile application built with Ionic 3, a web application built with Angular 5 and backend API built with C# and Asp.Net Core 2.0
- Represented the ITSC in requirement gathering sessions with various clients, including startup companies, government agencies from multiple states, and Fortune 200 retail companies. The sessions include in-person, phone call, and web conferencing.
- Used a distributed software architecture model for deploying a public retail software application ecosystem to optimize the resource sharing and utilization and to improve the system resilience.
- Interviewed new hires for the ITSC co-op positions.
- Designed and built databases for the new projects and solutions.
- Set-up Development and Operations (DevOps) environments and tools such as Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) using Drone.io, containerization and provisioning using Docker and Kubernetes, error audit and logging using Sentry for 10+ new projects, applications, and services.
- Researched and implemented software development best practices such as the iterative and incremental software development methodology, agile and test-driven development (TDD).
- Implemented Unit testing for the various components of the projects.
- Trained new developers on best practices and technologies.
- Mentored software developers throughout the lifecycle of the projects.
- Implemented a secure CI/CD pipeline to automate the testing and deployment of the code.
- Administered over 40 application projects and services developed at the ITSC on Linux and Windows platforms.
- Redesigned and restructured the source code’s version control model increasing productivity and ensuring faster testing and delivery, and less merge mistakes in the production code.
- Reviewed over 245 code review/merge requests from 20+ projects.
- Wrote scripts using python to convert Statement of Work documents into GitHub milestones and issues.
- Wrote scripts using Python to move GitHub issues between projects.
- Presented and published at multiple events, conferences, and journals.
- Architected and designed a scalable microservice-based backend services and APIs for a large-scale eco-system responsible for consuming, analyzing, and producing reports on large volumes of data for a Fortune 200 retail enterprise.
- Designed and developed databases for the eco-system on the enterprise management system used by the client, MS SQL.
- Developed and implemented the backend services and APIs for the system using Node.js, Microsoft SQL Server with Machine Learning and R Services, Redis, RabbitMQ, and Docker.
- Developed and implemented R Script and Microsoft SQL Server integration with a web application to execute machine learning analytics, and optimization jobs through the application.
- Architected, designed and developed the frontend tools and services for the eco-system using Angular.js, Bootstrap, and Express.js.
- Lead a team of 4 developers working on multiple applications and aspects of the eco-system.
- Built a cross-platform mobile application using Xamarin and C# to evaluate as a potential candidate for a technology stack for a manufacturing operation consultancy. The work extended into the following position.
- Work independently with minimal supervision to ensure team members meet high quality standards and project deadlines.
- Lead project bi-daily standup to track progress and address architecture and development issues.
- Coordinated the work and efforts between our team and other development teams consuming the data from our eco-system.
- Participated in client sessions and demos including requirements gathering sessions and progress update briefings.
- Presented the eco-system database design to the client’s development team.
- Managed and performed the deployments to the internal development and staging servers.
- Wrote Java Programs and Scripts to explore static IP configurations on Android-based devices.
- Implemented Unit testing for the various components of the projects.
- Developed and mentored other students thorough the process of building a C++ software prototype for Autodesk’s Forge Design Automation API. The script parses retail floor plan files and presents them in a format suitable for further processing.
- Deployed and administered software applications on SUSE Linux Servers used as development environments.
- Deployed software applications to the clients’ staging and production servers.
- Migrated the data and code of a large-scale software system used by state government agencies from using MongoDB, Express.js, and Node.js v6 to a newer versions and more modern stack of SQL-based database, Restify, and Node.js v8.
- Implemented Unit testing for the various components of the projects.
- Designed a client-server software solution for a Fortune 200 public retail enterprise.
- Developed a client-server software solution for a Fortune 200 retail company responsible for data collection from over 700 business units.
- Designed and developed the database for the solution.
- Participated in client sessions and meetings including requirement gathering and demonstrations.
- Participated in the deployment of the application to the client’s servers.
- Wrote scripts using Node.js to setup, build, and auto-populate/seed databases with testing data.
Research and Publications
- Gilany, Y. & Said, H. (2018). Automated Reporting System for Funding and Grants for Juvenile Correction Programs. University of Cincinnati IT Research Symposium.
- Kunapareddi, V., Gilany, Y. & Said, H. (2018). An Innovative Solution to Bridge Industry and Student Needs. Ohio Higher Education Computing Conference.
- Kunapareddi, V., Gilany, Y. & Said, H. Web-Based Multi-tenant Test Administration Tool. (in progress)
- Gilany, Y. Pomodoro - Visual Studio Code Extension Accessed at: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=yahya-gilany.vscode-pomodoro
- Gilany, Y. Terminal Launcher - Visual Studio Code Extension Accessed at: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=yahya-gilany.vscode-terminal-launcher
- Gilany, Y. CanIUse – Visual Studio Code Extension Accessed at: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=yahya-gilany.vscode-caniuse
- Gilany, Y. API Doc – Paw Cloud Extension Accessed at: https://paw.cloud/extensions/ApiDocGenerator
- Gilany, Y. Clock – Visual Studio Code Extension Accessed at: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=yahya-gilany.vscode-clock
- Gilany, Y. Eco-System Backend architecture for a Fortune 500 Public Retail Company. Accessed at: http://yahya-gilany.com/blog/articles/2017/06/06/Eco-System-Architecture.html
- Gilany, Y. Introduction to Machine Learning. Accessed at: http://yahya-gilany.com/blog/articles/2017/08/19/Machine-Learning.html
- Gilany, Y. Introduction to Design Patterns. Accessed at: http://yahya-gilany.com/blog/articles/2017/06/17/Design-Patterns.html
- Gilany, Y. Implementing A Modal Within a Modal in Bootstrap3.0. Accessed at: http://yahya-gilany.com/blog/articles/2017/06/05/Modal-within-a-modal-bootstrap.html
- Gilany, Y. Customizing the terminal bash prompt with Git Repo Status. Accessed at: http://yahya-gilany.com/blog/articles/2017/06/03/Customizing-the-terminal-bash-prompt.html
While most of the projects I've worked on are included under a Non-Disclosure Agreeement (NDA), On my portfolio site, you can learn in more details about the technical aspects of these projects
- Architected, and designed the backend services and APIs.
- Designed and developed the database which consisted of 50+ tables and views and 300+ queries.
- Maintained and reviewed the code to ensure quality.
- Mentored and coordinated between the development teams working on the projects supported by the eco-system.
- Automated the testing and deployment of the project using Drone.io.
- Designing and building a RESTful API using C# and .Net Core framework.
- Creating the Data Models and classes for both the API and the mobile application.
- Handling the Networking and HTTP requests and threading of the mobile application processes.
- Parsing HTTP responses from non-Java formats (JSON) into Plain Old Java Objects (POJO) and providing an interface for the application to interact with the persistence storage services.
- Integrating and connecting the backend services to the UI.
- Writing Unit tests for the application.
- Books Client.
- Grocery List
- Food Tracker
- Internet Connection Status
Skills & Proficiency
HTML5 & CSS
Microsoft SQL Server
Unity (Game Engine)
Photoshop & Primiere
Training and Courses
- CanSat Training Program at the SSTLab, Space Systems and Technology Laboratory. (84 hours)
- Embedded Systems Software Diploma, Certified (170 hours)
- Entrepreneurial Development Skills Program, Certified (60 hours)
- Certified Xamarin Developer (in progress)
- Google Cloud Platform Certification - Cloud Architect (in progress)
- Microsoft Tech Summit – Jan 2017
- Open Source Conference (OSCON) – May 2017.
- Ohio Higher Education Computing Council (OHHEC) – May 2018.
- Open Source Conference (OSCON) – July 2018.
- Machine Learning (Stanford University), Certified
- Project Management (udemy.com), Certified
- Programming Foundations: Programming
- Programming Foundations: Object-Oriented Design
- Programming Foundations: Database
- Angular 2 Essential Training
- Foundation of Cloud Architecture
- Spring 2016
- Fall 2016
- Spring 2017
- Fall 2017
- Spring 2018
- Programming sub-team.
- Used LabVIEW.
- Programming and Problem-solving Student Club
- Member in the CubeSat Research Team.
- Participant in the CanSat Training Program.
- CanSat development and building competition
- Responsible for the CanSat's On-Board Processors and programming.
- Worked as an Assistant to the Representative Sharon Har of the State of Hawaii.
- Cultural and Religious Tolerance and Dialogue program.
- Experiential Team Building Training.