- Dean List - Spring 17, Fall 17, Spring 18.
- Graduate Assistanship.
- Concentration: Machine Learning - Networking and Infrastructure
- Relevent Classes:
- Machine Learning and Data Mining for IT.
- Human-Computer Interaction and Usability.
- Advanced Game Development.
- Advanced System Adminstration.
- Advanced Storage Technologies.
- IT Infrastructure Sustainability.
- Dean List - Spring 16, Fall 16, Spring 17, Fall 17, Spring 18.
- Awarded the UC Global Scholarship.
- Concentration: Software Application Development
- Relevent Classes:
- Database Management I and Database Management II.
- System Analysis and Design.
- Contemprory Programming.
- Mobile Device Programming.
- Client-Side Web Programming.
- Responsible for all phases of the software development life cycle including inception, elaboration, construction, and transition/deployment.
- Responsible for all activities in the iterative development process including requirements, design, development, testing, and deployment.
- Responsible for establishing and performing an Agile software development processes with Scrum including sprint planning, sprint retrospectives and daily standups.
- Responsible for business-to-business (B2B) system integration for two major eco systems developed at the ITSC.
- Responsible for addressing client’s evolving software needs including enhancements, additional features, and bugs.
- Lead and mentor undergraduate and graduate students at different software development, system administration, QA, DevOps, and support roles.
- Advise leadership on technical requirements and project resource needs.
- Conduct Interviews for undergraduate and graduate students of technical and non-technical majors to join the solutions center.
- Responsible for maintenance of all software application in production including usage monitoring, security patching, and scalability.
- Responsible for maintenance and administration of over 80 servers used for housing development, and production applications.
- Advise infrastructure operation team on application needs and updates.
- Advise the School of Information Technology on opportunities for software development and expansion of the solutions center.
- Member of the staff team for the School of Information Technology.
- Research topics related to DevOps, architecture, and software development.
- Present to peers on topics related to state-of-the-art IT solutions’ development and maintenance.
- Publish academic papers to local and regional IT related conferences and symposiums.
- Implemented Online Offender Risk Assessment and Case Planning System for:
- the State of Missouri’s Department of Corrections.
- the State of Illinois’s Administrative offices of the Illinois Courts.
- the State of Nebraska Board of Parole.
- Developed and Designed user training sessions and material on the Offender Risk Assessment and Grant Tracking System developed at ITSC.
- Developed and Designed developer training sessions and material on the business-to-business integration with the Offender Risk Assessment system.
- Delivered 10 in-person training sessions on the usage of the Offender Risk Assessment and Grant Tracking system to representatives of 81 counties from the state of Ohio.
- Delivered 4 webinar sessions on the business-to-business integration with the Offender Risk Assessments System to representatives of:
- The State of Nebraska Office of the Chief Information Officer and the Board of Parole.
- The State of Illinois and its counties contracted software vendors.
- The State of Missouri Department of Corrections.
- Developed scripts to automate the deployment procedure of a multi-layered, service-oriented, distributed software ecosystems.
- Teach the following courses for the ABET accredited Bachelor of Science program in Information Technology.
- IT 2045C -Computer Programming II. (web-based)
- IT 3049C -Web Game Development. (in-person and web-based)
- Develop course material for IT2045C Computer programming II including video lectures, slides, course notes, and assignments.
- Develop course material for IT3049C Web Game Development including video lectures, slides, course notes, and assignments.
- Migrate IT2045C to an online delivery format. Videos can be accessed at https://bit.ly/YG-IT2045-CP2
- Migrate IT3049C to an online delivery format.
- Held office hours for students to provide personalized assistance.
- Grade assignments and provide feedback to students on a weekly basis.
- Collaborate with full time faculty on the course strategy and direction.
- Lead the development teams for over seven large-scale projects at the ITSC.
- Represented the ITSC in requirement gathering sessions with various clients, including startup companies, government agencies from multiple states, and Fortune100 retail companies.The sessions include in-person, phone call, and web conferencing.
- Interviewed over 20 new hires for the ITSC co-op positions.
- Designed and built databases for the new projects and solutions.
- Set-up Development and Operations (DevOps) environments and tools such as Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) using Drone.io, containerization and provisioning using Docker and Kubernetes, error audit and logging using Sentry for 10+ new projects, applications, and services.
- Researched and implemented software development best practices such as the iterative and incremental software development methodology, agile and test-driven development (TDD).
- Implemented Unit testing for the various components of the projects.
- Trained new developers on best practices and technologies.
- Mentored developers throughout the life-cycle of the projects.
- Implemented a secure CI/CD pipeline to automate the testing and deployment of the code.
- Redesigned and restructured the source code’s version control model increasing productivity and ensuring faster testing and delivery, and less merge mistakes in the production code.
- Reviewed code for 245+ merge requests from 20+ projects with over 300,000 lines of code.
- Wrote scripts using python to convert Statement of Work documents into GitHub milestones and issues.
- Wrote scripts using Python to move GitHub issues between projects.
- Presented and published at multiple events, conferences, and journals
- Architected and designed a scalable microservice-based backend services and APIs for a large-scale eco-system responsible for consuming, analyzing, and producing reports on large volumes of data for a Fortune500 retail company.
- Designed and developed databases for the eco-system.
- Developed and implemented the backend services and APIs for the system using Node.js, Microsoft SQL Server, Redis, RabbitMQ, Docker, Microsoft R Services.
- Architected, designed and developed the frontend tools and services for the eco-system using Angular.js, Bootstrap, and Express.js.
- Lead a team of 4 developers working on multiple applications and aspects of the eco-system.
- Work independently with minimal supervision to ensure team members meet high quality standards and project deadlines.
- Lead project bi-daily standups to track progress and address architecture and development issues.
- Coordinated the work and efforts between our team and other development teams consuming the data from our eco-system.
- Participated in client sessions and demos including requirements gathering sessions and progress update briefings.
- Presented the eco-system database design to the client’s development team.
- Managed and performed the deployments to the internal development and staging servers.
- Deployed the application to the client’s production servers.
- Migrated the data and code of a large-scale software system used by state government agencies from using MongoDB, Express.js, and Node.js v6 to a newer versions and more modern stack of SQL-based database, Restify, and Node.js v8.
- Implemented Unit testing for the various components of the projects.
- Architected a client-server software solution for a Fortune500 public retail enterprise.
- Developed a client-server software solution for a Fortune500 retail company responsible for data collection from over 700 business units.
- Designed and developed the database for the solution.
- Participated in client sessions and meetings including requirement gathering and demonstrations.
- Participated in the deployment of the application to the client’s servers.
- Wrote scripts using Node.js to setup, build, and auto-populate/seed databases with testing data.
Research and Publications
- Gilany, Y. & Said, H. (2018). Automated Reporting System for Funding and Grants for Juvenile Correction Programs. University of Cincinnati IT Research Symposium.
- Kunapareddi, V., Gilany, Y. & Said, H. (2018). An Innovative Solution to Bridge Industry and Student Needs. Ohio Higher Education Computing Conference.
- Kunapareddi, V., Gilany, Y. & Said, H. Web-Based Multi-tenant Test Administration Tool. (in progress)
- Gilany, Y. Pomodoro - Visual Studio Code Extension Accessed at: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=yahya-gilany.vscode-pomodoro
- Gilany, Y. Terminal Launcher - Visual Studio Code Extension Accessed at: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=yahya-gilany.vscode-terminal-launcher
- Gilany, Y. CanIUse – Visual Studio Code Extension Accessed at: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=yahya-gilany.vscode-caniuse
- Gilany, Y. API Doc – Paw Cloud Extension Accessed at: https://paw.cloud/extensions/ApiDocGenerator
- Gilany, Y. Clock – Visual Studio Code Extension Accessed at: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=yahya-gilany.vscode-clock
- Gilany, Y. Eco-System Backend architecture for a Fortune 500 Public Retail Company. Accessed at: http://yahya-gilany.com/blog/articles/2017/06/06/Eco-System-Architecture.html
- Gilany, Y. Introduction to Machine Learning. Accessed at: http://yahya-gilany.com/blog/articles/2017/08/19/Machine-Learning.html
- Gilany, Y. Introduction to Design Patterns. Accessed at: http://yahya-gilany.com/blog/articles/2017/06/17/Design-Patterns.html
- Gilany, Y. Implementing A Modal Within a Modal in Bootstrap3.0. Accessed at: http://yahya-gilany.com/blog/articles/2017/06/05/Modal-within-a-modal-bootstrap.html
- Gilany, Y. Customizing the terminal bash prompt with Git Repo Status. Accessed at: http://yahya-gilany.com/blog/articles/2017/06/03/Customizing-the-terminal-bash-prompt.html
While most of the projects I've worked on are included under a Non-Disclosure Agreeement (NDA), On my portfolio site, you can learn in more details about the technical aspects of these projects
- Architected, and designed the backend services and APIs.
- Designed and developed the database which consisted of 50+ tables and views and 300+ queries.
- Maintained and reviewed the code to ensure quality.
- Mentored and coordinated between the development teams working on the projects supported by the eco-system.
- Automated the testing and deployment of the project using Drone.io.
- Designing and building a RESTful API using C# and .Net Core framework.
- Creating the Data Models and classes for both the API and the mobile application.
- Handling the Networking and HTTP requests and threading of the mobile application processes.
- Parsing HTTP responses from non-Java formats (JSON) into Plain Old Java Objects (POJO) and providing an interface for the application to interact with the persistence storage services.
- Integrating and connecting the backend services to the UI.
- Writing Unit tests for the application.
- Books Client.
- Grocery List
- Food Tracker
- Internet Connection Status
Skills & Proficiency
HTML5 & CSS
Microsoft SQL Server
Unity (Game Engine)
Photoshop & Primiere
Training and Courses
- CanSat Training Program at the SSTLab, Space Systems and Technology Laboratory. (84 hours)
- Embedded Systems Software Diploma, Certified (170 hours)
- Entrepreneurial Development Skills Program, Certified (60 hours)
- Certified Xamarin Developer (in progress)
- Google Cloud Platform Certification - Cloud Architect (in progress)
- Microsoft Tech Summit – Jan 2017
- Open Source Conference (OSCON) – May 2017.
- Ohio Higher Education Computing Council (OHHEC) – May 2018.
- Open Source Conference (OSCON) – July 2018.
- Machine Learning (Stanford University), Certified
- Project Management (udemy.com), Certified
- Programming Foundations: Programming
- Programming Foundations: Object-Oriented Design
- Programming Foundations: Database
- Angular 2 Essential Training
- Foundation of Cloud Architecture
- Spring 2016
- Fall 2016
- Spring 2017
- Fall 2017
- Spring 2018
- Programming sub-team.
- Used LabVIEW.
- Programming and Problem-solving Student Club
- Member in the CubeSat Research Team.
- Participant in the CanSat Training Program.
- CanSat development and building competition
- Responsible for the CanSat's On-Board Processors and programming.
- Worked as an Assistant to the Representative Sharon Har of the State of Hawaii.
- Cultural and Religious Tolerance and Dialogue program.
- Experiential Team Building Training.